Workshop: Variable Fonts
with Rainer Scheichelbauer (TBA)
Finally make the move from static to variable font design! Topics covered include:
- drawing for delta interpolation
- set up axes, masters and instances
- use the best extensions for OTVAR production
- efficiently use variable font settings and custom parameters in the Glyphs Font Info
- make the most of OpenType features for variable fonts
- animate your variable font in a browser
- take a peek into the `STAT` and `fvar` tables
- test your variable font, fix and avoid common mistakes
Plus, learn what variable fonts can—and cannot—do. Recommended reading (not required): the tutorials ‘Multiple Masters’ (3 parts), ‘Creating a variable font’, and ‘Switching shapes‘ tutorials on the Glyphs website.
Course materials and projects
All you need is a stable internet connection and a Mac. You’ll get a free trial version of Glyphs 3.
The course is open to a maximum 20 participants. This ensures that each student gets ample time for feedback.
How does it work?
The course is taught by Rainer Scheichelbauer. The workshop will take place over Zoom from 1pm to 6pm UK time, with a half-hour break. We’ll email you a zoom link before the start.
Fees and registration
The course is £350 (+ 20% VAT if applicable) and is non-refundable. To join the waiting list, or if you have any questions, please email [email protected]