Introduction to Script Fonts (Latin)
With Ulrike Rausch: Starts Jan. 2023
About the course
You will learn how to turn your lettering & calligraphy into a font. Type designer Ulrike Rausch introduces you to the font editor Glyphs, and will walk you through the process of creating your first authentic script typeface. This introductory course is 24 hours of teaching spread over 4 months.
You don’t need to have any previous experience in type design, but you will have a better time if you have some experience drawing Bézier vectors (e.g., with Adobe apps such as Illustrator or InDesign). The course will be taught in English.
(classes take place at 3:00 pm UK time)
- Session 1 — Jan. 11, 2023: Introduction to the Possibilities of Script and Handwriting Fonts
- Session 2 — Jan. 18, 2023: General Introduction to Glyphs
- Session 3 — Jan. 25, 2023: Introduction to the Magic of OpenType Features
- Session 4 — Feb. 1, 2023: Setting-up your Font File
- Session 5 — Feb. 8, 2023: Introduction to Spacing and Kerning in Script Fonts
- Session 6 — Feb. 15, 2023: Alternatives, Ligatures, and Decorative Characters
- Session 7 — Feb. 22, 2023: In-depth OpenType feature Session
- Session 8 — Mar. 1, 2023: Diacritics
- Session 9 — Mar. 8, 2023: Adding a Second Master (optional)
- Session 10 — Mar. 15, 2023: Refinements
- Session 11 — Mar. 22, 2023: Refinements + Tips for Marketing
- Session 12 — Mar. 29, 2023: Final Presentation
Course materials & projects
Participants will be required to prepare for each session, work on the given exercises, and present their work in class. We will start with a common sample typeface design for practising and getting familiar with Glyphs. The second project will be an opportunity for each participant to design their own new script typeface!
The course is open to a maximum of 12 participants. This ensures that every student gets ample time for feedback.
How will it work?
The course is taught by Ulrike Rausch. The course will use the latest software to establish a virtual classroom and resource centre for the course materials. Participants will need to join the weekly sessions via a Zoom link that will be provided. A stable internet connection and a Mac are required for this course. Participants will get a free trial version of Glyphs 3, which will be valid until the end of March 2023.
Fees and registration
The course fee is £990 + 20% VAT (if applicable) and is non-refundable. Participants are exempt of VAT if registering as an EU business. To register, or if you have any questions, please email [email protected]