Intermediate Arabic Type Design
with Dr. Nadine Chahine: Fall 2023
This intermediate course is 24 hours of teaching spread over 4 months. The course is for those who have already taken an introductory course with Nadine or are at beginner level and would like to advance their skills. Participants can continue working on existing projects or start new ones. Participants who have not taken the introductory course will be asked to submit samples of their work. The course is taught in English.
(classes take place at 4pm UK time)
- Session 1 — October 10: Recap of basics of Arabic type design
- Session 2 — October 17: Putting on weight
- Session 3 — October 24: Contextual alternates
- Session 4 — October 31: Cursive attachments
- Session 5 — November 3: Refinement of key weight
- Session 6 — November 6: Finalizing key weight
- Session 7 — November 21: Adding Thin weight
- Session 8 — November 24: Refinement of Thin weight
- Session 9 — December 19: Adding Black weight
- Session 10 — January 9: Refinement of Black weight
- Session 11 — January 23: Final refinements
- Session 12 — February 6: Final refinements
Participants will develop a family of different weights or related styles.
The course is open to a maximum of 12 participants. This ensures that every student gets ample time for feedback.
How will it work?
The course will use the latest software in order to set up a virtual classroom and a resource centre for the course materials. Participants will need to join the weekly sessions via a Zoom link that would be provided. A stable internet connection is required, as well as the latest Glyphs software on a Mac.
Fees and registration
The course fee is £990 + 20% VAT (if applicable) and is non-refundable. Participants are exempt of VAT if registering as an EU business. To register, or if you have any questions, please email [email protected]